• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, June 27, 2006

    She Says, unemployed lawyer

    So I quit my job today. Long, protracted story based on even longer and more protracted negotiations which resulted in zip, zero, zilch. In fact, their offer of continued employment was downright insulting. For a while, I thought we'd be able to come to a deal, but they just dragged their feet on and on, and I've had it. And everyone else who works here except the HR partner is in agreement that the firm blew it and is missing out on a real bargain by not coming to a mutually agreeable understanding with me.

    And this has been going on for so freakin' long that I am well past caring about it at all. Of course, having no job will eventually become problematic, but I am optimistic that I'll get something soon. And if I don't, well, I still think I made the right decision.

    Here, in a nutshell (but not quite verbatim), is the conversation I had with the HR partner:

    SS: HRP, I just wanted to let you know that I've decided it's time for me to move on.

    HRP (suprised): Oh, I see... well...

    SS (surprised that he's surprised because this has been a long time coming): I've spoken with [attorney with whom I work] and she knows. I am happy to stay on to help her with the case (because we have a filing deadline this week) but I think next week is about the right timing for me to leave.

    HRP: So do you have another job then?

    SS: No, I don't.

    HRP (surprised again, looks down at his desk, avoids looking at me, etc.): I see.

    SS: While I've enjoyed my time here over the past 8 months, I know I am capable of doing more.

    HRP: (really nothing to say at this point)

    SS: Since I don't have a job that I have to get to, I'll be flexible about my last day. I know how much work there is, and I don't want to leave the litigation team in a lurch.

    Etc., etc.

    Basically, they were happy to have me stay and work as a law clerk, but I'm not a law clerk any more. And there's no point in staying if they aren't going to give me any responsibilities or attorney work. I've been working cheap for them, which was fine during law school, but now that I'm actually a licensed attorney, I won't be a law clerk.

    So I'm outta here.

    Anyone got a job for me?

    eXTReMe Tracker