• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, May 04, 2006

    To invite or not to invite...

    So my "walking" graduation is May 21st. My "official" (as in the date is says on the fancy Latin-inscribed piece of paper) graduation was February 1st. I will be walking for the obligatory snapshot with the dean later this month because I figure that finishing law school IS a big deal. It is certainly the most expensive education I've received. In fact, law school is more expensive than my education has been cumulatively -- undergrad at a state school (including an out-of-state tuition) plus a private graduate degree combined.

    Besides, I know my mom and dad and probably grandma would like to attend and see me, purple cow outfit notwithstanding.

    I'm lucky (and my guests aren't) because GULC's graduation is outside, so there is no limit on the number of invitees per graduate -- unless it rains and then we are all screwed. With my combined family (divorce and remarriage) and extended family (the entirety of my dad's family lives in the area), I don't have to play the political game of who to invite to park it in a coveted and counted seat. The seats are unlimited, although Darwin will surely be at work.

    My question is to whom should I send the announcements? I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure what to do.

    I look at it a coupla' ways. First, I am proud to be graduating, and I am happy to announce it. I would be happy for anyone who wants to attend the ceremony to come. But I also realize that sitting through a large law school graduation outside in May in Washington, DC may not be tops of everyone's chart for thrills a second. So the balancing act comes in deciding if I should send the announcement to everyone who might be remotely interested in the estoteric fact that I finished without disgracing myself (e.g., aunts, uncles, people who wrote letters of recommendation for me, employers, etc.) or to those with whom I share major life experiences (that would include out-of-town friends) or just to those whom I expect would realistically be interested in attending?

    The reason I'm concerned is because I don't want the out-of-towners (who would not make the trip for my graduation) to think this is a devious and disquised attempt to get gifties. I really don't. But I also don't want them to feel left out, like I wouldn't want them there if they could make it. And just how do I avoid the appearance of pandering for presents?

    Hmmm... it's like wedding politics, sorta -- but on a much less expensive scale.

    I think what I am going to do is send the announcements to everyone in my circle of friends with whom I share "major life milestones". That would include a bunch of out-of-towners but exclude a few in-town relatives that haven't expressed an interest in me in, oh say, a decade or so... (that way, they won't feel like it's a ploy for presents).

    Does that sound snarky? Should I just send them to all the local relatives and extended family? What do you think? What should I do? Ack!!!

    Life just isn't the Brady Bunch.

    eXTReMe Tracker