• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, April 14, 2006

    Reminder to self...

    So on my walk to work the other day still vexed by the seeming impossibility of finding a permanent full-time law job ("PFTLJ") in this city, a few things crossed my mind:

    1. I was asked for directions by a British couple. This reminded me that I live in a fabulous city. People from all over the world come to my city to see it. Not everyone can say that. We have restaurants with cuisines from every corner of the globe, and it's generally a great place to live (current administration, notwithstanding).
    2. I do have a job that covers my bills (but not much else, sadly) and is resume-worthy. I am learning stuff, too. So I will not be out on the street or doing the barista thing if PFTLJ doesn't show up immediately.
    3. I can walk to work -- not only am I able to walk, but work is within a close enough proximity that I can get there on leather power alone. Plus, I can take the bus or the metro when suffering from inclement weather or pinchy shoes.
    4. There is lots of green space here -- and pink space too! The cherry blossoms are still (slightly) out, and they bring a grin to my face every time I see them. During my commute of about a mile and change, I walk past 3 4 parks (or "squares") and one circle. That is just a good, good thing.

    So, in the end I reminded myself that the lousy job market here in my field of interest (employment law) probably has more to do with my inability to find the ever-elusive PFTLJ than my skills and resume. The EEOC thing is evidence of that. Budget cutbacks, de-emphasis of certain programs, etc. Energy Spatula just got a job she's really happy about -- which further reminds me that things will work out just fine. They always do. My job in the meantime is to keep plugging away at it, not take anything for granted (or be lazy about the job search) and focus on the positive.

    That sounds awfully new-agey, but after the stern talking to that I gave myself, I am actually kinda upbeat.

    Oh FTPLJ... yoo-hoo... where are you?

    eXTReMe Tracker