• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, June 16, 2005

    In the name of science

    So the other day, I got this outreach letter from one of my alma maters extolling the virtures of participating in research to find a drug to treat and perhaps cure breast cancer. This is something I believe is worthwhile and care about, so I read on with the thought that I might consider volunteering...

    The slick, colorful brochure outlined the what the clinical trial was, what it was seeking to test, what it meant to participate, etc. I kept reading until I hit something which stopped me dead in my tracks. And made me laugh...

    "... for post-menopausal woman..."

    WHAT???

    That's when I noticed that all of the photographics on the slick brochure were of women with mature faces and gray hair. The drug was for treating post-menopausal women who (perhaps because of lower estrogen levels?) were at a greater risk for breast cancer. A very good cause, but... what I wanna know is just what demographic data does that school have for me and what the heck am I doing getting this info? After all, this info came from one of my alma maters, which ran the list of potential participants (what they are doing "selling" their alumni lists is another issue entirely).

    Sheesh. It's been a few years since I graduated, but definitely not enough to flag my file as a potential participant in a clinical trial for post-menopausal women.

    But it does very nicely complement the AARP notices I've been receiving...

    eXTReMe Tracker