• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, June 16, 2005

    Spam subject lines

    As the junk email filters have gotten better, so have the spammers gotten more creative. I think all of us know how to spot the spam when it manages to evade the electronic gatekeeper -- usually resulting in an immediate "delete" -- but every once in a while, I'm intrigued enough to actually look at the message.

    Two things that have gotten my attention have been when the sender is a name I know or could be someone I know through work -- and I don't mean spoofing viruses, but rather when the spammers invent senders that actually sound like a real person whom I might know.

    But it's the subject lines which are the most amusing. Usually, it's just mumbo-jumbo to avoid the filters, but today, I got something quite different. The subject line read: "You left something the other night..." from a name that sounded feminine but could have been masculine either.

    I can certainly see where that spam might cause relationship miscues if a significant other didn't realize that the message was spam, but since that's not an issue for me, I found it kinda funny.

    eXTReMe Tracker