• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, April 29, 2005

    (dis)Associations

    I wonder how long tragedies taint words? How long did it take people to disassociate "Pearl Harbor" from the shock and horror of the attack? Will the numbers 9-11 forever be imbued with desperate sadness and loss? And what about "tsunami"?

    I wrote this haiku about 7 years ago when I was working in Manhattan. I think it captures exactly what the subway commute up and down the East side is like... but because I use the word "tsunami", does that belittle the tragic loss of life and tremendous suffering last year in South Asia?

    Lex line morning ride,
    ebb and flow of human tide.
    Each stop: tsunami.

    (this was originally imposed on the Hokusai print "The Great Wave at Kanagawa" from the series "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji")

    eXTReMe Tracker