• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, April 26, 2005

    The "ick" factor

    When it comes to inter-racial relationships, I do not experience the "ick" factor, that unquantifiable but visceral recoiling in disgust. When it comes to gay relationships, I do not experience the "ick" factor. When it comes to May-December relationships, I do not experience the "ick" factor. So perhaps, that's why I reject such discrimination -- because I don't have a deeply personal revulsion to the relationships -- and conversely, perhaps that's why some people are so dogmatic and vitriolic about their views: the "ick" factor.

    However, there is one marriage situation where I do experience the "ick" factor: consanguineous or first-cousin marriages. The research says that there is no real public health reason to prohibit marriage between first cousins in a heterogeneous society, and in fact, twenty-some states allow it. So, arguably, there is no rational basis to prohibit such marriages. However, there's still that "ick" factor... I get icky when I think of first cousin couples. And that gives me at least some insight into where those who object to gay marriage are coming from (assuming that the "ick" factor is part of the reason).

    Therefore, absent a good reason other than that gut reaction -- and even though I don't like it -- I guess I would have to agree that consanguineous marriages must be permissible to avoid the hypocrisy of my supporting gay marriage. I don't have to like it or do it, but unless I can present a rational, cohert and intellectually consistent argument why first cousins should not be permitted to marry but gay couples should, I can't object.

    But I'm still not comfortable with it... so I need to think this through a bit more.

    eXTReMe Tracker