• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, May 05, 2009

    New plumbing for our house...

    My past three days:

    Sunday -- chipped my tooth; got home around 11:00 PM after being away for three days to find a pipe burst in our basement, spurting everywhere. Water was covering the bathroom floor and had pretty much soaked the carpet across the entire floor. Wedding presents, law books, photographs and gawd knows what else was on the floor. So, after we figured out how to turn off the main valve to the house, SM and I started digging out. We put towels down and pulled out our fans and dehumidifiers. The towels got soaked instantly, so I had to run them through the spin cycle of the washer and then stick them in the dryer. And repeat and repeat.

    We managed to get a lotta stuff out of the basement, which is a huge disaster area. Sadly, my junior high and high school yearbooks took a big hit. All of them are damaged. ::whine::

    Monday -- took off work to clean up some more. Got the plumber in there to do the quick repair so we could get our water back on and take showers. Figured out that the pipes had burst before (saw an old repair) and were likely to burst again (lots of rust). Ahh, the joys of owning an older house with original plumbing! Got the boss plumber guy in to do an estimate to re-do all the plumbing in our house. ::sigh::

    Then I had a doctor's appointment. After I had been sitting there waiting for half an hour past my scheduled time, I asked when I would get in. Turns out they (someone) had cancelled my appointment. They said that I had called in to cancel it. Um, no. I had to wait another half an hour before seeing the doctor. Boy, was I pissed. This office screws things up all of the time like this. Unfortunately, I like the doctor, so I don't know if I'll switch providers.

    Today -- taking the morning off work to get stuff cleared out of the basement. I got the area rug up (which was sitting on the wall to wall carpet), and now it's outside on the deck. I'd say it's out there to dry, but given the humidity, I doubt any drying is going on. At least it's not sitting on the other carpet like a petri dish.

    Fun times!

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker