• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, November 19, 2007

    Clarence Darrow quotes

    One of these popped up on my gmail account on the sidebar. I was intrigued enough to read on... and share.

    All of these quotes are attributed to Clarence Darrow.
    As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever.

    Calvin Coolidge was the greatest man who ever came out of Plymouth Corner, Vermont.

    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails.

    Depressions may bring people closer to the church but so do funerals.

    Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak it to?

    History repeats itself. That's one of the things wrong with history.

    I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose.

    I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure - that is all that agnosticism means.

    I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood.

    If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think.

    Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt.

    Justice has nothing to do with what goes on in a courtroom; Justice is what comes out of a courtroom.

    Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.

    No other offense has ever been visited with such severe penalties as seeking to help the oppressed.

    Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.

    The best that we can do is to be kindly and helpful toward our friends and fellow passengers who are clinging to the same speck of dirt while we are drifting side by side to our common doom.

    The pursuit of truth will set you free; even if you never catch up with it.

    The trouble with law is lawyers.

    The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything.

    To think is to differ.

    True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.

    When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.

    You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom.
    I went to law school with Clarence Darrow's great nephew (no, not too intimidating!), and he is brilliant. Practically a photographic memory -- can quote footnotes and obscure citations -- which is damned scary when you're riding the same grading curve is him. Clearly a family with great talent.

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker