• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, May 08, 2007

    I think I may be in the wrong line of business

    We're getting estimates for work to be done on our house, and I just had some work done on my apartment to get it in nice condition to rent out.

    For the apartment, I had a handyman do some basic repairs and painting, and I paid him $1400 for the whole job. It took him approximately 2 days to do everything (including running around for materials). Let's assume, very conservatively, that $500 was materials alone (which NO WAY it was) because that's what he asked for in order to get the job started. That means that if he worked two 10-hour days, he earned $45/hour for painting, repairing and cleaning.

    Hell, I don't make $45/hour. And not to downgrade the effort it takes to paint, clean, repair, etc., but it doesn't take tremendous skill. Moderate skill, but not tremendous.

    Law school, schmaw school. Pfff!

    (Okay, I know... the reason why I'm willing to pay that money for him to do the work is because I don't want to do it, so it's not just a "skill factor" determining the price of the labor, there's an "effort factor" too. And that's more of what I'm paying for, the effort it took to get the job done.)

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker