• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, March 02, 2007

    Book club

    I hosted book club (at SM's place) last night. A fellow clubber and I made Japanese food, home-style. She made stew, and I did te-maki sushi, which is handrolls. Meaning that I prepared the rice, the fixin's, etc., so each person would take a small piece of nori (seaweed) -- a quarter of a sheet -- onto which they plopped some rice and then added whatever goodies they wanted before they smashed it closed and shovelled it into their mouths. Repeatedly. There is no eating this food elegantly because something inevitably falls out. Kinda like tacos. And you eat a lot because, well, it's yummy.

    For fixin's, I had avacado, scallions, tuna (from a can), cucumber, red pepper, carrots, asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, takuwan (sweet pickled radish -- the yellow stuff), fake crab meat, egg, string beans... I think that's it. It was yummy, and we had a ton TON of leftovers because, as usual, I was worried we wouldn't have enough (dumb, dumb!), so I made way too much. We used up the rice by rolling more sushi for everyone to take home (the long rolls). So guests got a parting gift, in addition to dinner.

    And guess what I have for lunch? Uh-huh. YUM.

    FYI, rolled sushi is incredibly easy to make, although it does take a long time to chop up all of the veggies (and steam them so they aren't totally raw and crunchy). And it's a really healthy meal (except for the added sugar). If you're interested in doing it, here is a good recipe for the sushi rice, very authentic with good instructions. I cut the sugar down to about 2 Tblsp. (for my own taste), however.

    Thinking about last night's eat-a-thon, I'm starting to get hungry. Mmmmm, sushi...

    And, oh, we didn't talk about the book. Oops. We decided instead to go to dinner next Friday where we'll talk about the book and then see the movie afterwards. Bonus!

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker