• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, November 07, 2006

    Poll hopping

    So while nothing out of the ordinary really happened while we were at the polls this morning, we did get a few drive-by visits. A few candidates stopped by -- as well they should -- and we had some press (see my earlier post about Gidget, the photo-op). The biggest "name", the best-known figure to show up in our neck of the woods was Cindy Sheehan, spreading her message -- to bring our troops home from Iraq, to minimize the human cost of this war, and to prevent other families from experiencing the pain she is feeling as the result of her son's death -- as well as that of Gold Star Families for Peace, Code Pink, Voters for Peace and others.

    It was a very small press conference, and I just stood and listened. There were cheers, a few questions and some press, including an international camera crew (the accent sounded French). It was almost like a candidate's stump speech -- short, punchy, to the point, followed by some glad-handing and then outta there to the next venue. I asked one of the organizers why she was in our sleepy little corner of the world, but then I remembered... this town is a no-nuke zone, allows non-citizens to vote in municipal elections and has more members of the green party on the voting rolls than republicans. Oh yeah. That's why.

    Made for an interesting morning.

    And BTW, Gidget was completely pooped from her morning as a celebrity pooch. She pretty much fell asleep the second I brought her back and has been snoozing ever since. Ahhh, I wish!

    eXTReMe Tracker