• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, August 21, 2006

    Did I just say that?

    So earlier this summer, I was at a meet-and-greet for a local politician (running for state office in MD), and as usual, I asked a number of tough but hopefully not overly obnoxious questions. Even though I am inclined to support someone, I don't let the candidate slide on mere credentials or a recommendation someone else has made. I always want to hear how the candidate handles my particular pet issues and questions.

    Anyway, after my second or third question, this candidate said something like, "Tough question. Are you a lawyer or something"?

    And for the first time evAH, I said, "Well, actually, yes."

    Not a law student. Not waiting for my bar results. Not even passed but not yet admitted. No caveats at all. Just a straight-forward "Yes I am a lawyer" answer.

    And it felt weird because the disclaimer has been a part of my life for the past four years. Like losing part of my identity... taking off the "training wheels" as it were -- a happy event but still an adjustment.

    eXTReMe Tracker