• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, January 25, 2006

    Proud to be an (almost) alum

    Damn, I gotta say how proud I am of my fellow civil liberties-minded law students who demonstrated quite civilly how criminal they think the policies of this adminstration are when Attorney General Alberto Gonzales came to defend the domestic spying program at my soon-to-be alma mater...!

    Here's what the AG's prepared remarks were. Here's a link to the webcast of what he actually said. And here and here and here and here (among a zillion other sites and the blogs, oh the blogs!) is how the media covered it. The students spoke volumes with their silence, and these pictures say it all.

    During my time at the Georgetown University Law Center (GULC), I have participated in a number of student-organized efforts, of which I am very proud. For example, GULC took the lead on preparing the law student amicus brief for Grutter v. Bollinger (which I was very excited to sign -- how else would a first year law student get to participate in an amicus brief???). We protested the Solomon amendment, and a number of folks I know worked on the strategy and the amicus brief.

    And this. I love that these students stood up and (about) faced the AG on this issue.

    Beautiful. Brilliant.

    The students will probably all have FBI files as a result of this protest, and I so admire their courage.

    UPDATE (1/26): Let's see if this technologically challenge gal can do this. I am trying to upload the feed...

    Hmmm, after fiddling, it looks like I don't know what I'm doing (no surprise). So here's a direct link to Gonzales's address and the panel discussion following it.

    And... a friend of mine who was at the event, told me it made The Daily Show (click on the "Tap Dancing" segment) and sent me this.

    eXTReMe Tracker