• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, June 29, 2005

    Disillusions of grandeur

    Another installment of the saga of my hair...

    I've been deliberately growing it since October 2001 when I last chopped it all off to donate to Locks of Love. That means, no cute cuts, no layers, nothing but a blunt cut across the bottom... pretty boring for someone who likes changing her appearance.

    Anyway, my hair is now getting to the point where the length and weight are actually starting to annoy me (perhaps the humidity has something to do with it? Hmmmm....), so I've been thinking about getting it cut again. I have enough that it wouldn't be short, short... just short.

    Last time I did this, I called ONE salon and asked if they would support my donation by giving me a free haircut. The guy, Kevin, was incredibly enthusiastic and wonderful and supportive. He gave me a nice cut and wouldn't even take a tip despite spending a great deal of time with me. It made the whole experience incredibly positive.

    And I didn't realize until this go-round just how positive it was. I have called, dropped in or otherwise inquired at four or five salons in the area if they would support my donation with a free haircut. Universally -- and frequently with a measure of distain -- the salons have told me that they "don't do that." They are more than happy to donate my hair (and take the credit?) to the organization so long as I pay for the cut.

    This has saddened me profoundly.

    It's not like I'm looking for a handout exactly. I grew my hair for the express purpose of helping out some kids. If I have to pay for a haircut, I will... but I am really saddened that others don't have the spirit of supporting this very good cause. It's not like just anyone can support the organization with a hair donation -- the minimum length is 10 inches -- so how many free haircuts would it be (spread out over all the salons in this city)? I'm really disillusioned about this, and my idealism is tarnished. Don't get me wrong, I'll still make the donation -- but I just wanted some support (affirmation?) in my donation. I still believe it's a great cause, but it seems like folks around me don't. Or they don't care... which saddens me too.

    Am I being petty being upset that these salons -- and the hairdressers -- don't care to donate their expertise for a good cause?

    ::sniff::

    (And I promise, no more about this -- except perhaps a post when I actually get it cut)

    eXTReMe Tracker