• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, June 30, 2005

    Curves

    I just had a conversation with a fellow summer who told me that her law school grades on a C curve. I was stunned. That is one helluva curve to surmount for a competitive GPA when most schools' curves are much higher. My law school (MLS) has parked its curve somewhere between a B and a B+... and I've even heard that our curve is out of date (apparently, it hasn't been revisited in something like 10 years, which is unusual). Transfer students to my school have told me that their previous school's curve was also much lower. I wonder if that's something that MLS takes into account when accepting transfers? I wonder how well law firms, clerkships, fellowships, etc. even recognize the Lombard Street-esque nature of law school grades...?

    So, those of you who are battling the curve, what is the curve at your law school? Do you think there is an awareness of the differences? What do you think about the politics behind first/second/third tier schools setting the curve higher/lower?

    Just curious.

    eXTReMe Tracker