• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, March 13, 2005

    I may be old but...

    There's something quaint about some of these relics of a bygone era...e.g. my childhood (and teenage years and even college days).

    * milk home-delivered in glass bottles (left in the tin box)
    * drive-in movie theaters
    * movie theaters with dramatic, heavy full-length curtains and balcony seating
    * regular gas
    * dial television sets with rabbit-ear antenna
    * rotary phones that you rented from the phone company
    * flipping through the Sears catalogue and dog-earing pages for your Christmas list
    * life before VCRs (remember the Betamax?)
    * mimeographing
    * Coke and RC Cola in returnable glass bottles
    * diaper services
    * home movies on 8mm film
    * 126 and 110 cartridge film
    * television stations signing off from broadcasting at night with the Star Spangled Banner
    * 8 track tape player in the car
    * manual typewriters
    * cap hair dryers
    * handwritten letters

    I actually remember all of these things. Okay, maybe it's just nostalgia that makes them seem cool (I admit, most of these things went the way of the dodo for a reason -- lack of efficiency and invention of newer technology). I still maintain, however, that the world is definitely the worse for the disappearance of drive-in theaters.

    eXTReMe Tracker