• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, December 30, 2006

    I'm a happy girl + mac tidbit

    So yay, I have good news about my li'l mac. The mac that could...

    I took my powerbook (G4) to the Apple Store this evening. I had dropped it on its side and ever since, it shorted out with a kernel panic at the slightest movement.

    When I told the "Genius" at the store my sad tale, he knew instantly what the problem was and fixed it in less time than we spent waiting for the appointment. Yay!

    Here's the deal, in case it happens to you... apparently, it is not uncommon that when a powerbook is dropped on its side (especially the left side), the airport card comes loose (or at least, loses its connection in its slot). After you pick up the computer and right it, it may work just fine, but it also may have an internal short because the airport card isn't probably inserted. All you need to do is open up the back, take out the battery, open the airport card slot and put in back in properly.

    And there ya' go. Done. Fixed.

    Now my little G4 is working just fine. And I am one happy camper. I can't tell you how great it was to have such a simple fix -- and for no charge.

    Plus -- bonus -- I got to make all sorts of comments (which I'm sure they've heard 10 gazillion times) about the job title "Genius". They even wear "Genius" t-shirts. Imagine having on your resume that you were a "genius" from, say, 2003-2006? But then when the store was upgraded, you weren't... or something like that.

    Heh.

    But, I'm not going to talk smack about the service. I thought the guy did a great job and I have no complaints whatsoever. It may not have been genius, but it was brilliant, as far as I'm concerned.

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker