• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, December 31, 2006

    2006 in review

    2006 was a year of tremendous change for me, and it's ending on a very upbeat note. Yay! Here's hoping that 2007 continues the trend...

    Here are a few quick highlights, along with the first line of each first post of every month (yeah, how original). The two reviews provide a pretty good snapshot of 2006 as experienced in the She Says household.

    My highlights:
    * I took the bar without freaking out or throwing up in the middle of it.
    * I graduated from law school, with honors (I'm pretty proud of the honors part).
    * I found out I passed the bar without freaking out or throwing up (although there was a LOT of crying).
    * I got sworn-in as an attorney in Maryland (also no freaking out or throwing up).
    * I became a volunteer adult literacy tutor, which is an incredibly rewarding hour and a half of my week.
    * I met very cool fellow bloggers Ambib and Denise in person.
    * SM and I adopted an adorable pooch who is quite the sweetie. Our Gidgety-girl!
    * The dems crushed in the elections, which gives me hope for a change of course and policy priorities in our national politics.
    * I survived several months of unemployment and got a great job doing exactly the law I want to learn and practice. My instincts to quit my old job and hold out for the right job were confirmed despite all of the second-guessing along the way.
    * I travelled to places I had never been before: Houston, Nashville, Puerto Rico and Arizona (where I saw the Grand Canyon by helicopter!!! and visited the internment camp where my father spent about two years of his childhood).
    * Sadly, I did not get an international trip (something I've done every year for the past two decades) but I did have an international visitor (A from Canada) and two overseas trips -- Puerto Rico and Hawai`i.
    * I started a book club with several other fantastic women -- which has led to meeting more fabulous women and reading many good books.

    Of course, there were a few lowlights this past year too, but no need to revisit them. And fortunately, nothing was too, too bad. The worst of it was studying for, taking and waiting for the results of the bar -- and the stretch of unemployment. But those things were part of the evolution of my career, and I definitely gained from both experiences (and not just weight! also better insight about my character and tolerance for uncertainty).

    Blog posts (headline and first sentence):
    January
    New legal precedent: Mooning Deemed 'Disgusting' but No Crime in MD.

    February
    C = JD: This is the advice I was given when I started law school -- basically a reminder not to stress over my grades because the minimum GPA needed to graduate is a 2.0 = C.

    March
    Geeky enough: I admit that I'm geeky enough to think it's cool how much information can be culled from the internet.

    April
    Ah-ha!: For the past month and a bit, I've successfully put the horrors of the bar out of my head.

    May
    Seen in the lobby: This magazine.

    June
    This has got to be some kind of record: I am embarrassed to admit this, but I just returned two DVDs to Netflix today.

    July
    Not just old, but creaky old: I had the most glamourous extended weekend of being laid up in bed all day Saturday and Sunday.

    August
    The Chinese fortune cookie gods are spying on me: So, after my usual dial-a-dinner of Chinese food tonight, I cracked my fortune cookie.

    September
    It's a bright, shiny new month: Still no news on three jobs, but I was only expecting to hear from one... Is no news good news?

    October
    Verdict #2 (for last week): The photo was taken at Pololu Valley, Hawai`i (the Big Island) -- the north shore.

    November
    Mean girls: Trauma this morning with the Gidget... on her morning walk, she encountered another pooch, a girl, and they got rough.

    December
    Hawai`i or North Pole?: Despite signage to the contrary, I am in Hawai`i.

    And there you have it, ladies, gentlemen and others who prefer to eschew labels. Best wishes for a fantastic 2007 -- one that brings joy, health and good fortune to everyone!

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker