• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, September 07, 2005

    Head spinning

    Okay, so this is already the second week of class and I still don't have a firm grasp on my current reality. I have my schedule settled -- including a 9:00 am class on both Monday and Wednesday (ouch, that hurts). This is my first time to participate in non-seminar day classes. That is, I've taken day classes before (just left work and returned), but they were always these small seminars of no more than 15 people. This semester I have two lecture classes, one of which is all day students and I don't know a soul! The other is also a day class, but it is populated by LLM students. It's a tax class being taken by tax lawyers. Hmm, I think this might be a good opportunity to use my remaining pass/fail option. That's a curve I just don't want to battle!

    I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the things I need to catch up on... and the way I tend to deal with stress is by procrastinating. Not a good survival mechanism because it only exacerbates the issue. Gulp. However, among the many things which have happened recently, there are two things I wanted to take note of:

    Today is my baby sister's 21st birthday. Hard to believe she's grown up so much when I haven't aged at all (right?). I wasn't much younger than she is now when she was born -- time flies, flies, flies...! Happy Happy Birthday, C!!!

    Second is Katrina. Such devastation. Such horror. Such needless suffering. I can't get my head around the conditions the folks in New Orleans were subject to. And I really want to know WTF Bush was doing on vacation until the THIRD freakin' day of the disaster? That really pisses me off. I don't put a whole heckuva lot of credence in those who quickly play the race card, but what kind of compassionate conservatism allows a man to continue to ignore such suffering -- a national disaster -- for so long? Crawford is in the frigging relief zone, after all! (The Waco area accepted a great number of the displaced persons)

    My heart (and some of my money) goes out to those who have lost so much. I can't bear the stories of those who don't know where their families are. It breaks my heart, and I cannot imagine living with that fear and uncertainty. I feel such a level of impotence.

    eXTReMe Tracker