• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, July 09, 2004

    What is 50 cents worth?

    Earlier today, I was sitting on the metro when I saw two quarters lying on the ground under the seat in front of me. Not being 5 anymore, I don't usually pick up change. It has to be worthwhile for me to bend for the bucks, and 50 cents... well, that's definitely in the gray zone. However, I figured that since I was sitting, already half way there, I expended the energy.

    The woman sharing my bench commented, "Wow, you're rich." I'll admit it -- 50 cents is decent find as far as change goes...

    And while I noted that no one was sitting in the seat directly over the new-found treasure, the other side of the bench was occupied. So out of good manners and feeling it was the right thing to do, I asked the other woman across from me if she thought she might have dropped the pocket change. To my surprise, she said, "Yes, I think that is mine. I just had my purse out."

    So I gave her her due: 50 cents.

    And I tried to hide my shock. The woman sitting next to me, who was as surprised as I was that this woman's largess was so small, commented, "Well at least you are honest." (don't know if she was stressing YOU or not...)

    Trying to recover my voice, I replied, "Well, it was only 50 cents."

    And it was ONLY 50 cents.

    But what is 50 cents worth? Is it worth claiming when a stranger has found it on the ground not so close to you? Frankly, there is no way that money could have found its way to where I found it from where she was sitting unless her purse had exploded. Is it worth caring about, let alone lying? Would you worry if you lost 50 cents? Have I gained great good will and good fortune by handing away mine? What can 50 cents even buy you these days? A shocked look from the woman who found it. A local phone call. Not even a candy bar. A down-payment on a can of soda from a vending machine. Not much else...

    I did, however, learn a lesson that was worth at least 50 cents: everyone has their price. To me, it is certainly not worth acting like a Scrooge or being petty over two quarters. What would I have done if the situation had been reversed? Even if I had honestly thought it was my money, I would have waved the offer off. Why? Because my self esteem and image of who I want to be (which includes a sense of generosity) is worth more than 50 cents.

    The more interesting question, however, is -- what would I have done if it were $5? Would I have even offered it to her? I think I would have. And I know what she would have done.

    eXTReMe Tracker