• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, July 07, 2004

    Coming to terms

    The more I think about it, the more I realize that Kerry made the best choice in asking Edwards to run with him. Of all the possibilities, Edwards brings the most of what Kerry is lacking. Dean would have brought the internet generation and energy, but his negatives (incoherent screaming, reinforcing the NE pro-gay marriage image) were heavy. The rest were great on paper, less so on TV and in person. Edwards balances Kerry in that way.

    Compared to Kerry, Edwards looks youthful, vibrant, animated and optimistic. It was painfully evident in this morning's joint press appearance that Kerry wants that and wants it bad (he also needs it). I mean, he was even holding Edwards' son's hand and tossing him around like he was the father or grandfather! That was over the top as far as I was concerned, but it is true that the John-John ticket does have an air of two brothers ready to take on the world... and the Camelot comparisons with Edwards' young kids in tow cannot be helped. The charisma factor counts for a lot. After all, look at this administration: Cheney was chosen because he had the resume that Bush lacks whereas Bush had the appeal of "I'm running for frat house president, please vote for me" (too bad so many fell for it) which is the antithesis of Mr. Vice "go f*ck yourself" President's personality. Kerry is just doing it in reverse, and frankly, I'd rather have the guy with the experience in the White House than as the back-up.

    Also, I love the fact that both of the wives of the ticket are older than their husbands and equally as accomplished.

    And speaking of older women, I tried to put my hair up in a ponytail this morning, a style which generally looks quite youthful. However, the "young, carefree" factor was obviated by the obvious gray roots that have laid seige around my face. Needless to say, my hair is down today.

    eXTReMe Tracker