• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, December 31, 2008

    2008 in review

    Snagged from Res Ipsa Crap, who, like me, had a few big events this year which tended to dominate this list...

    1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
    What a great question to remind myself of the adventures I've had...  I got legal with SM.  Had not just one but two dresses custom-made for me.  Travelled to the Iberian penninsula. 

    2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    Yes, lost weight.  But I've gained a chunk of it back.  So, yes, again, I'll make the inevitable pledge to lose weight again.

    3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    No.

    4. Did anyone close to you die?
    No.  But SM's grandmother did.  I never actually met her.

    5. What countries did you visit?
    Spain, Portugal.

    6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
    A job that doesn't make me want to spit in fury or hit someone every day.  An administration that is actually democratic -- not autocratic -- and understands and respects the Constitution.

    7. What dates will you remember from 2008?
    August 8th -- our wedding.  August 10th -- our reception.

    8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    I don't know that the wedding was an achievement per se, so I won't say that. Getting a new job isn't all that extraordinary of an achievement either. Perhaps it was surviving my current job without going insane, going postal, needing heavy medication or saying/doing something that would deep-six my career.

    9. What was your biggest failure?
    Being mean to SM because of my frustrations.

    10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    No.

    11. What was the best thing you bought/received?
    I can't pick a "best", so I'll list many of the happy things I received. SM bought me a Tiffany's charm bracelet and a heart charm for a wedding present. For Christmas, he gave me another charm for it. I also got a pair of diamond earrings from my parents for my big 4-0. And they also gave SM and I their old car (a 1998 Acura with 150K miles -- but still a great car). My sister did all sorts of wonderful things to make our wedding reception beautiful, and my dad paid for it. Scooter, SM's aunt and others schlepped Fat Tire beer from points all over the US so that I could surprise SM with it for our wedding. All tremendously generous gifts.

    12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    The American voter for electing Obama.

    13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    Several of my coworkers' (a recurring theme here…).

    14. Where did most of your money go?
    Wedding-related purchasing. Vacation in Spain/Portugal. Car repairs. Stuff I wanted but didn't need.

    15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Obama's election. It was an evening like none other. Getting my new job -- not as momentuous in the grand scheme of things, but definitely has more impact on my day-to-day existence.

    16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2008?
    Beyonce: Single Ladies (mainly because it's been running through my head all morning).

    17. Compared to this time last year, are you: fatter or thinner?
    Fatter.

    18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
    Watching what I eat.

    19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
    Eating. Pulling my hair out from frustration at work. Complaining.

    20. How did you spend Christmas?
    Spent the Eve at my house where I hosted my brothers, sister-in-law and mother for dinner. Went over to dad's for X-mas day to eat and open gifties. Flew up to SM's dad's house X-mas afternoon to celebrate that evening with them. Drove to SM's aunt's on Boxing Day to celebrate with her, cousins, another aunt and grandfather. Flew back home on Saturday. It was a whirlwind, but not nearly as stressful as I thought it might be.

    21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
    Still happily happy with my hubby.

    23. What was your favorite TV program?
    No faves of anything, but I rediscovered The West Wing after the elections were over. Damned good show, even in reruns.

    24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
    Don't hate anyone. Never have.

    25. What was the best book you read?
    Again, no "best"s or other superlatives. I did enjoy The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao. I'd have to check my bookclub list to remember what else I read and liked.

    26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    None.

    27. What did you want and get?
    A new job.

    28. What did you want and not get?
    Our livingroom ceiling fixed. Yes, it is still on our floor six months later. ::sigh::

    29. What were your favorite films of this year?
    No faves. And I have to admit that I barely saw any movies this year.

    30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I don't remember what I did on the actual day, but we celebrated by going to Spain/Portugal for a week. I was the big 4-oh no.

    31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Blowing the whistle on the bullshit that has been and continues to go on in my current office.

    32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
    On sale.

    33. What kept you sane?
    SM and Gidget. And retail therapy.

    34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    I have no answer.

    35. What political issue stirred you the most?
    Issue? Not sure. The blatant hypocrisy of the Republicans and the Bush Administration pissed me off beyond words, however...

    36. Who did you miss?
    A smart, progressive president – and having my closest girlfriends in the same timezone as I am.

    37. Who was the best new person you met?
    Met this year? Who did I met this year? The Scooter family? My new boss who hired me?

    38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
    Some things are worth it, and some aren't. It's important to figure out the difference.

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker