• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, May 21, 2007

    Worth a quick read

    This article in the WaPo about blogging while at or about work.

    I would add that many employers have already developed HR policies which cover blogging -- from two angles: using employer-owned equipment (computer, internet connection, company time) and generating negative publicity which affects the workplace. These policies may not specifically mention the word "blogging", but they are being applied just the same. Of course, the latter is covered by the first amendment, but if you work for a private employer, your protections are fewer.

    As my employment discrimination prof repeatedly told us: you can be fired for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all -- just not for an illegal reason. Being fired for blogging probably doesn't fall into the "illegal reason" category (you could possibly make that argument, depending on content of the blog that got you in hot water -- but good luck).

    Hmmm, and what am I doing now? In my office? Oh, but I'm on a coffee break!

    Labels: , , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker