• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, January 15, 2007

    Good eatin' meme

    Scooter has accused me of being really meme-y lately, and he's right. I've posted a bunch. Maybe it's because I can't (and won't) post anything about work and my life otherwise is pretty static? Dunno. But here's another one to celebrate restaurant week and the fact that I love food and am a big eater.

    1. If you were stuck on an island and could only eat one cuisine (e.g., French, Italian, etc.) for the rest of your life, what would it be? Why?
    This is very difficult for me because I love, love, love food, and different cuisines are literally the spice of life. I think I might have to choose Indian food or Middle Eastern/Israeli food. Both have very good options for people like me who don't eat mammals and they have a variety of flavors. Or maybe Hawaiian food... hmmm, hard choices! As much as I love Japanese food, I wouldn't choose it because the cuisine is so rice-based and lacking in spiciness. Indian, yummmmmm, Indian...

    2. What is the most unusual food you've eaten?
    Uni (sea anemone) or tongue or octopus? I've never had eyeballs or chicken feet or blowfish or Rocky Mountain oysters... um, no thanks.

    3. What is the most unusual food you've eaten and liked?
    Tongue. This was before I cut the mammals out of my menu. It was very good. I didn't and don't like uni.

    4. What foods will you avoid eating (either because of a dietary choice or allergies or just plain don't like)?
    Mammals. Any mammals. I don't eat 'em. I also don't drink because I'm allergic to alcohol (missing the enzyme to process it -- that's why many Asians turn bright red when they drink).

    5. Do you cook (and by that, I mean prepare a meal that you'd serve to friends)?
    Yes. I can pull together a pretty decent, but not necessarily top chef-worthy, meal that wouldn't be an embarrassment to serve. I'm also pretty good at inventing recipes -- ya' know, throwing together ingredients you have on hand to come up with something yummy? I have a decent sense for what tastes good together and how to prepare it.

    6. If yes, what is your favorite dish to prepare to impress someone?
    Japanese food. Not that it's hard to make (it's really not -- just time-consuming), but most folks don't know how to make it so people are usually impressed.

    7. When you go to a restaurant, what's your ordering strategy/preference?
    I tend to order things which I would never make at home, which gives me a pretty wide range of potentials, even when you eliminate the mammal dishes. Anything that sounds like it uses ingredients that I wouldn't buy or sounds too complex for me to pull together would be a top choice for me to get when eating out.

    8. Have you ever returned a dish or wine to the kitchen at a restaurant? Why?
    No. I have never been served a meal that was that bad that I would return it and risk the wrath of the kitchen. But there have been many disappointments along the way.

    9. How many cookbooks do you own?
    Gosh, I don't know. A lot. I like buying them and looking through them, but most of them collect dust. I probably have a good core of 6 books that I actually use fairly regularly.

    10. What is one food that you wouldn't want to live without?
    Um, all of it? That list is way, way too long. Lox, creamed cheese and bagels on a weekend morning. Chocolate anytime. Seafood.

    Okay, this is a short one because I want people to add to it with their own questions. I know that Kristine is a foodie, so I'll tag her and zuska (to send it on to her beloved).

    And now, I've worked up a very good growling stomach, so off to find something to chow on...

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker