• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, November 14, 2006

    My mother's voice in my head

    So, A went home yesterday. We had a great visit. But the fun started even before she arrived! And good times just kept on rolling...

    When I was cleaning in anticipation of her arrival (because she's incredibly neat, and I'm not), I found the iPod which I thought had been stolen out of my car. Needless to say, I was thrilled because I had been missing it and lamenting my stupidity at losing it. I found it in a purse I last used 8 months ago on a trip and had just put away when I got home, not to be used again. D'oh. I had looked high and low for the iPod and was completely baffled, annoyed and bummed that I couldn't find that sucker -- so much so that I concluded that I must have lost it or had it stolen on my trip. So when I found it, I was relieved and excited -- and then I heard my mother's voice in my head, her often-repeated refrain from my childhood: "See what you find when you clean?!" I had to chuckle because, of course, she was right.

    Ahhh well... I guess we can never escape the homilies of our childhood. They'll haunt us forever.

    Anyway, about A's visit... On Saturday, she and I walked, browsed and shopped in Old Town, ate in a Public House and went on a "Ghosts and Graveyards" tour. Lots of walking, but the weather couldn't have been better. Also, the sales were pretty aweseome! It was a great day.

    Sunday, the weather was miserable. Cold, cold rain and wind that chills ya' to the bone. Brrr. A good day to sleep in and then go to a museum, which we did, the National Museum of the American Indian. I had been meaning to go there for years, since it opened but never managed to make it. The exhibits were well done and very accessible for kids, incorporating lots of great technology. But I have to say that one of hte highlights of the museum is the cafeteria where they serve native american cuisine. You can choose from the Plains Indians or the Pacific Northwest or several others. Not cheap but very good. A went for two kinds of vegetable salads. I went for the fry bread. With honey. And cinnamon. A heart attack in the making, but it was worth it.

    I dropped A off at the airport on Monday around noon so she could make her cross-continental trip home. One cool thing I noticed when I picked her up, National now has a cell phone waiting area where you can wait in your car (free) until your arriving party calls you to pick him/her up at the arrival door, curbside.

    Smart.

    eXTReMe Tracker