• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, May 19, 2006

    On the bar

    At today's seminar on professionalism, I ran into several former classmates who I had not known had sat for the bar. Obviously they passed, so I inquired why I hadn't seen them in the prep course.

    It turns out that they, both of whom are fathers of children born during law school, just could not afford the time away from home to attend the evening classes (the only option for the February bar), so they opted for the self-paced program. Same course, just a listen-to-the-lectures-at-your-own-pace set of CDs. And clearly, it worked for them.

    Now, I know I could never succeed that way. I know I needed the structure of classes every night to get me thinking and studying. I did not do all the extra exercises they suggested. I did, however, do gazillions of multiple choice questions.

    But it worked for them. One of them even pulled a 168 on the MBE. So I guess if you have the discipline, using CDs in combination with the books works. But, don't get me wrong, they did take a course; it was just self-paced. I don't know anyone who sat for the bar without taking any kind of course at all.

    eXTReMe Tracker