• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, May 22, 2006

    Good speech

    I now have my fancy -- and quite large -- piece of paper saying a bunch of things in Latin that I can't read. Something about Georgetown... something about scholar and law... not too sure. The only thing that makes sense is my name, and if I can remember my Roman numerals, MMVI is 2006.

    Anyway, Chief Justice Roberts gave our commencement speech, the first for him as the dude in the striped robe (he made a joke about that too). He was quite good. Funny, pithy, not too long. And we learned that not only was he first in everything at Harvard, but he was also captain of his high school football team and a pole vaulter. Brains and a jock.

    Being the Washington crowd that we were (with all sorts of cameras there too), we were all listening for signals on how he would steer the court. And he did signal. Seems he wants to work towards consensus and narrow decisions. Sounds good, but as he also pointed out in his speech, it's not so easy to actually do. Especially with this court.

    So, in other words, it sounds like we should look out for no earth-shattering decisions or changes in the law -- the very definition of conservative.

    eXTReMe Tracker