• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, June 23, 2008

    Email exchange with SM about the Veep-stakes this morning...

    On 6/23/08, SM wrote:
    Subject: short list


    I found the article I remembered that said there were 20 names on the list. Those the reporter had gleaned included:

    Senators: Biden, Clinton, Dodd, Webb
    Former Senators: Edwards, Mitchell, Nunn, Daschle
    Governors: Bredesen, Sebelius, Kaine, Napolitano, Richardson
    Generals: Jones, Clark

    I don't know how real this is, but it's creeping close to 20.

    -----
    From: She says
    To: SM

    Subject: Re: short list


    More like 8, the way I see it. Some have already taken themselves outta this. He's not going to choose a woman, and Richardson can't keep it in his pants (not to mention the general belief that a black and a Latino would be "too much" change...)

    Kaine or Webb seem to be front-runners, although Webb has baggage. Mitchell and Nunn are too old, don't you think?

    Senators: Biden, Clinton, Dodd, Webb
    Former Senators: Edwards, Mitchell, Nunn, Daschle
    Governors: Bredesen, Sebelius, Kaine, Napolitano, Richardson
    Generals: Jones, Clark

    -----
    On 6/23/08, SM wrote:

    I think old is definitely a cancel-out. Dodd got a sketchy mortgage and is prob out. Webb should be out but has too many positives to eliminate straight out. And I think Obama really likes Sebelius, so I'm inclined to keep her in the mix.

    That leaves Webb, Daschle, Bredesen, Kaine, Clark, Sebelius.

    I still think Clark is the best of this group…

    -----
    From: She says 

    To: SM

    Subject: Re: short list


    Yeah, but Sebelius gave a pathetic response speech, and everyone knows it. The dems aren't going to be so excited about her lackluster performance, especially if it seems like the only reason he chose her was because she's a woman.

    Daschle is impressive, but he couldn't even win his own state. I think you're right that Clark is a good one. So is Webb, but I wonder if he'd be too bombastic for Obama? Kaine may be too low-key. Plus, isn't he pro-life?

    -----
    On 6/23/08, SM wrote:

    Kaine is pseudo prolife. He says he believes in obeying the law, even though he doesn't personally believe in abortion. (same reason he accepts the death penalty)

    You're right on Sebelius and the lackluster performance…

    The other negative on Webb is that Obama won't want someone who could drown him out. That's webb. I think low-key is a feature they want.

    That leads us to Daschle, Clark, Bredesen (gov-tn).

    -----
    From: She says
    To: SM
    
Subject: Re: short list


    I agree, especially on Webb. And while I like Daschle a lot, I go back to the "he can't even win his own state" argument.

    Clark and Bredesen.

    

-----
    That’s our thinking on the Veep-stakes… for now. We'll see.

    Labels: , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker